As we age, our skin changes and tends to lose it’s elasticity and luminosity. Using certain makeup techniques can help to make you look younger and hold back the years. Less is more when it comes to makeup in your 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond, as you don’t want to emphasize fine lines and wrinkles. Focus on bringing a little youthful color to the face by making brows, lashes and lips look fuller. Here are a few tips:
1. As the skin thins with age, dark under eye circles may become more prominent. Blend a creamy concealer with moisturizer to ensure that it doesn’t cake or settle in fine lines.
2. When applying foundation, only dot the areas that need it, and blend well so that it doesn’t settle into fine lines. Use light-reflecting foundation or tinted moisturizer to create a youthful glow.
3. Brighten the cheeks and add color with a cream blush like the one I used on this client, L’Oreal’s Magic Smooth Souffle Blush in Plume. The cream blush will have a longer staying power and shows up better on more mature skin than a powder blush will. Cream blush also has a brightening effect and will give a youthful flush.
4. On the eyes, apply a creamy concealer as an eyeshadow primer and then brush matte neutral tones over the lid and in the crease. Avoid wearing vibrant or hard colors or using metallic or shimmer makeup, as it exaggerates the texture of the skin and draws attention to lines and crepiness.
5. Use a dark brown or grey eye pencil as eye liner; it is more flattering than a harsh black, and the pencil will allow you to work between the roots of lashes. Go over the pencil with a dark powder eyeshadow and smudge the line gently to make the eyelashes look thicker and give the eyes some definition.
6. Define your eyebrows and fill in any sparse areas using an eyebrow pencil and powder the same shade as your hair to make the brows fuller and natural.
7. Fine lines around the mouth will sometimes cause lipstick to bleed. To avoid this, outline the lips with a waxy lip pencil to prevent feathering, and stick with rose or coral toned lipstick or lip gloss.
Above all, don’t stress about the aging process; embrace it! You can still look lovely in the skin you’re in, and your confidence will radiate your beauty!